Sunday, July 19, 2009

Thoughts on Florida game from 2008

I was at this game last year up in Gainesville and I have to tell you, being up there in the "Swamp" is quite an experience, that's for sure. I've been to Tallahassee twice (2001 and 2005), but being in Gainesville is a different animal.

As for the game, I saw the replay again today and the play that stuck out in my mind was the Carl Moore play late in the 3rd quarter. I saw the replay the next morning on Breakfast with the Gators and again today on ESPNU. The reason the refs overturned that call was because his left elbow was in-bounds. At best, that's inconclusive, but it is what it is.

A few plays later, a Pass interference penalty on Randy Phillips gave UF 4 new downs and on the 2nd third and Goal play, the refs missed a holding penalty on Cooper for holding Grant. I was bummed, but the killer was Hankerson's drop on 3rd down at 16-3 UF. That play would have given the Hurricanes a 1st down and would have kept the drive they had going alive.

The bottom line was that the offense couldn't move the ball. Robert Marve showed his inexperience and poor playcalling by then OC Patrick Nix. I don't blame the D for that loss in Gainesville, that loss is on Nix's playcalling and Marve's inexperience.

No comments:

Post a Comment