Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My take on Beckham's new stadium in Miami and what it means for UM

The following is per the Herald on the new MLS Stadium in Miami and my take on it

The following is from Alyce Robertson, chief executive of Miami’s Downtown Development Authority, who said and I quote in reference to a stadium at the Port of Miami:

“If we think in a traditional manner, then there’s going to be some challenges on the transportation,” This was in reference to the cars that people are used to taking in for games. Robertson added that you can walk and take the Metromover to Heat games. 

The questions on whether UM should get in with Beckham on sharing a new stadium are these:
  1. Gameday Traffic - Now, picture Game Day vs FSU, and you have 45-50K fans for a Noon game. You have a potential for a nightmare as some on Twitter have mentioned already, especially the Saturday Morning cruise ship arrivals at the Port of Miami. If I'm Donna, one of the questions I'm asking myself: "Is it worth it? "
  2. Parking - According to the City officials, "limited parking" could be built underground, like the AAA. Another question, UM officials would have to ask here: How much more parking space would be available? How much parking would be set aside for Hurricane Club donors? Would tailgating be allowed at the lots? If you believe Deputy Mayor Chip Iglesias,  he says that "some fans could park in the same Biscayne Boulevard lots they use for Heat games and then walk over the bridge to the port." 
  3. Capacity - Now Iglesias thinks that 25 acres could be available, enough for a 25,000-seat stadium with expandable seating for various events. My thinking on the various events would be yes, that stadium could be expanded for UM football, if we join in with Beckham and his group. The question, I would be asking if I were Donna is how much expansion could work at the new stadium? I would believe 35K for UM football?, with expansion to 45-50K for big games like FSU. Also, he says that there would be a  mega-yacht marina and perhaps a waterfront promenade. Another question would have to be asked here too. How much boat parking would be available on gameday?
  4. Mass Transit - I'll go back to Alyce Robertson's quote and believe that for this to work, Tri-Rail needs to have more trains for Night games in the new stadium going back to Broward and Palm Beach. This has to be an effort with BCT and Palm Tran in order for this to happen. MDT can make this work without question. 

If I'm Donna, those are a few things I would be asking Beckham and his group if I'm going to have UM join in. 


Feel free to chime in on this. What are your thoughts? Should we (CANES), join Beckham in his new stadium? 

No comments:

Post a Comment